Retaining Your MVPs
The business leaders that we interviewed
said metaphorically that, "We would die if these people left the business."
To retain their MVPs an organization must:
- Identify their true MVPs, as opposed to
top performers,stars, and prima donnas.
- Understand the current state of satisfaction
of each individual MVP with their role in the organization.
- Inspect and align your MVPs with a manager or management
style that allows the MVP to produce and grow. Our research
shows that this is the most statistically significant factor
affecting your ability to retain value creators.
- Provide the MVP with challenges that support
their individual development needs vs. grouping them into
pre-defined development tracks.
- Allow for flexibility.
- Make sure that the total compensation of the MVP is appropriate
to the value they create.
- Recognize their accomplishments that go
beyond standard performance-oriented rewards.
- Encourage the MVP to stay.